R. 21(2015), nr 2(41)
- The Historical Bindings in the Library of Congregation of the Mission of St. Vincent de Paul in Kraków in the Light of Exhibitions
Fr. Wacław Umiński
Abstract: The author discussed the selected examples of book bindings from the missionary library in Kraków displayed during two exhibitions in the Historical-Missionary Museum of Congregation of the Mission of St. Vincent de Paul in Kraków in 2014. The first one focuses on the diversity of Polish bookbinding from 15th to 18th century, stylistic modifications and changes in technical solutions. Sixteenth century book bindings from Kraków with the characteristic ferrules and rollstamps, made of parchment or paper were presented. The second display was devoted to notes of ownership with a particular attention to super ex libris and provenance notes. Undoubtedly, the most remarkable super ex libris came from King Zygmunt August book collection.
- Library Training for Students of Pontifical University of John Paul II in Kraków
Abstract: Computerization and thus an access to the growing knowledge resources, requires continuous training and gaining new qualifications. The library meetings with students allow to inform them how to easily use the university book collection. Training for new students should be a regular part of the teaching process at the university library. Its main aim is to pass basic, practical knowledge about the library and how to use library resources and services by oneself.
- The Diocesan Library in Toruń in the Years 1995-2010
Abstract: The Diocesan Library in Toruń was established in 1995 as the supply base for the Seminary in Toruń. At the beginning, the collection came from the inheritance and donations, made by both clergymen and laymen. Over the years, the library gained the permanent fund for the purchase of new releases. In 1999 the sorting and computer cataloguing of the collection began. By 2010 it was possible to collect approximately 90 000 of volumes, of which 44 000 of were entered into the inventory and 20 000 were catalogued. The main group of readers were the clerics of the Seminary in Toruń and lay students of the theological faculty.
- The Library of the Theological and Pastoral Institute and the Higher Theological Seminary in Rzeszów
Abstract: The Library of the Theological and Pastoral Institute and the Higher Theological Seminary in Rzeszów is located in a modern building opened to the public in 2012. Although being rather young institution, it is considered to be one of the most important scientific libraries in Rzeszów and Podkarpackie Voivodeship. There are two reading rooms and the front desk. The book collection covers various fields of interest with a particular emphasis on theology, philosophy and sociology. Readers can use photocopier, scanner, printer, wireless internet and other modern technologies if they need. The article describes history, changes and the current state of the library, as a source of knowledge and information for priests, students and other people.
- The Library of Marian-Kolbian „Kolbianum” Institute in Niepokalanów
Abstract: In the article the Library of Marian-Kolbian “Kolbianum” Institute in Niepokalanów is presented. The Institute has run the Centre of Mariology Studies of Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński University since 2010. Library of the institute is a member of Federation of Ecclesiastical Libraries FIDES and develops quickly. There are book store, library room with the open access to collections, Scientific Reading Room and Newspapers Reading Room. Online catalogue is available as well. Collections include 60 000 books from which 7200 have been already catalogued and numerous journal titles. Library sections are adapted according to Mariology Studies needs. In the short term the library is to complete mariology publications according to Mariana Bibliography – “Marianum” in Rome.
- The Parish Library of Martyr Brothers Church in Bydgoszcz
Abstract: In 1986 cardinal Józef Glemp consecrated the Martyrs Brothers church in Bydgoszcz. Two years later parish library started to function on the initiative of rev. Romuald Biniak and Literary Archconfraternity department in Bydgoszcz. The parish library is situated in the territory of Emaus Club located in the underneath of parish house. There are only card catalogues available in the library as well as an accessions register. Currently, collection contains more than 7 000 volumes which come solely from individual donations. In the library one can find the following sections: Belles-lettres, Belles-lettres for Children, Meditations, Mariology Literature, John Paul II, Church Teaching and Theology, Psychology and Family, Biographies, Poetry, Philosophy, Bible Studies, Tourism, Church History and History.
- Parish Websites as a Source of Information about Catholic Parish Press in Archdiocese of Katowice. An Attempt of Formal and Publishing Analysis
Abstract: In the article the results of research concerning online accessibility of parish press within Archdiocese of Katowice have been discussed. In the research all 319 parishes of the Archdiocese have been included. It results from the analysis that 90% of parishes have their own websites and 19% of them promote their magazines on the Internet.
- The Twentieth Anniversary of „Z Piekarskich Wież” Journal
Abstract: The paper discusses the importance of the Piekary Śląskie for the Upper Silesia, creation of „Z Piekarskich Wież” journal as well as functions of parish press. Attention has been drawn to analysis of contents, publishing parameters, graphic design and functions of the title. Statistical data is presented in table. Article provides examples of illustrations published in the journal. The paper also describes the range of influence and readership of the monthly. The article considers also the future of the „Z Piekarskich Wież” journal.
- „Źródła do dziejów Kościoła katolickiego na Górnym Śląsku”. Content Analysis
Abstract: In the article the book series „Źródła do dziejów Kościoła katolickiego na Śląsku” has been presented. The six volumes containing primary sources and presenting the most eminent priests from Upper Silesia (among them blessed Emil Szramek, bishop Józef Gawlina and Jan Macha) have been discussed. One of volumes mentioned above contains an introduction to the collection of parish books from the Archive of the Archidiocese of Katowice. Another one – diaries of Ludwik Hurski. The latest volume of the series shows the Franco-Prussian War seen by the eyes of ordinary soldiers in their letters sent to the editors of the journal „Katolik”. The presented book series enriched by numerous historical photographs has a significant documentation and research value.
- The Serials in the Collection of Rev. Prof. Remigiusz Sobański in the Theological Library of the University of Silesia in Katowice
Abstract: The paper describes a collection of journals belonging to Rev. Prof. Remigiusz Sobański. The comprehensive analysis of the journals in terms of their content and formal characters has been carried out. Formal characters such as scope of languages and titles, chronological, typographic and topographic range have been examined. The results of content properties were included in thematic scope of the journals.
- In „A Small Homeland” – the Books about Kielce in the Collections of the Library of the Higher Theological Seminary in Kielce
Abstract: The paper discusses the presence of books about the capital city of Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in the collections of the Library of the Higher Theological Seminary in Kielce. Since people started to identify with the place where they live, a regionalism – social-cultural movement, which intends to preserve certain local cultural characters and traditions, began. Since the residents of Kielce feel emotional bond with their city, the seminary library tries to anticipate their expectations through collecting publications about Kielce. Currently there are 238 publications on this subject, both religious and secular, written in Polish and foreign languages. The vast majority of them were published after 1989. It can be concluded from the number of books that the library operates actively on the area of local interest.
- The Catalogue of Bachelor’s Theses about Church Libraries in Poland for the Years 1962-2012
Abstract: In Poland, church libraries play an important role in the evangelization of the universal Church. The presented catalogue includes 110 bachelor’s theses written in seventeen academic institutions under the guidance of forty one tutors (seven priests and thirty four secular). In catholic universities bachelor’s degree is of a higher rank and is required before a doctorate whereas in other higher education institutions this is just a first step of a professional title. The topics of the papers relate to biography, clergy private collections and church libraries.
- Closer to the Legacy of Saint Patron – Scientific and Cultural Events in the Library of the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Kraków
- Publications of the Library of the Higher Theological Seminary in Koszalin
Magdalena Florianowicz, Monika Zielonka
- Józef Gawlina, Military Bishop for the Polish Armed Forced on the 50th Death Anniversary – Based on Photography Exhibition
- „Archbishop Szczepan Wesoły”. The Exhibition Organized by the Theological Library of the University of Silesia in Katowice
DISCUSSIONS AND REVIEWS
- Publishing House of the Theological Institute of Congregation of the Mission of St. Vincent de Paul in Kraków. Website
- Fr. Wiktor Gramatowski SJ, Zofia Wilińska, Danuta Gułajewska, Jan Paweł II: bibliografia polska 1978–1997, t. 1-8, Rzym 1987-2014
- „Radiating Holiness” Ceremony. The Unveiling and Sacrifice of Saint John Paul II Portrait in the Library of the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Kraków (Kraków, May 28, 2014)
- Report on Seminar „Direction – Library” in the Library of the Pontifical Faculty of Theology and Metropolitan Higher Theological Seminary in Wrocław (Wrocław, October 23, 2014)
- Scientific Conference in the Library of the Pontifical University of John Paul II The Legacy of John Paul II in Libraries and in National and Foreign Archives (Kraków, November 4, 2014)
- Report on National Scientific Conference Historical Book Collections of Dominicans. Places, People, Stories (Kraków, November 21-23, 2014)
- Report on Conference Libraries in Contemporary Polish and European Union Legal System. The 6th Scientific Conference of Wrocław Librarians’ Corporation (Wrocław, December 5, 2014)
CHRONICLE OF THE FEDERATION FIDES
- Minutes of the Board Meeting of FIDES Federation of Ecclesiastical Libraries (Warszawa, February 3-4, 2015)
Fr. Tomasz Garwoliński